04 June 2008
For the fourth year in a row Go-Ahead Group plc (‘the Group’) has been listed in the Top 100 Companies for Corporate Responsibility by Business in the Community (BITC).
BITC’s Corporate Responsibility Index, which recognises a company’s positive impact on society and the environment, ranked Go-Ahead as the top performing public transport operating company.
Go-Ahead’s Group Chief Executive, Keith Ludeman commented: “I am delighted with Go-Ahead’s continued success in this year’s index. This reinforces our approach to environmental management and highlights our commitment to being a responsible employer and public transport operator.”
|For further information, please contact:
|The Go-Ahead Group
|Stephen Weldon, Group Commercial Manager
|| (0191) 232 3123
Notes to Editors
- Go-Ahead’s performance, which has improved by more than 25% over the last seven years, puts the company in the same category as some very well known and respected UK brands, including Boots, BBC, Cadbury Schweppes, M&S and Rolls-Royce. Only BAA achieved a higher listing than Go-Ahead in the overall transport sector.
- The rating is based on the way Go-Ahead, through its devolved structure, manages its impact on the environment, as well as its ethical business practices, and is the second year in a row that the company has achieved a rating of more than 90 per cent.
- Go-Ahead was also recognised for its commitment to the environment, achieving a gold rating for the second year running in BITC’s Environmental Index (a stand-alone module of its Corporate Responsibility Index).
- The Corporate Responsibility Index was established six years ago by BITC to help businesses address their key environmental and social risks and address their impact on society.
- Further information about BITC’s index, published in the Sunday Times, can be found at - http://www.bitc.org.uk/news_media/cr_index_top_100.html
The Go-Ahead Group plc
Go-Ahead is one of the UK’s leading providers of passenger transport services operating in the bus, rail and aviation services sectors. Employing approximately 27,500 staff across the country, it provides services to over 900 million passengers every year. In addition to the travelling public, customers include the Department for Transport, Transport for London (TfL), local authorities, BAA and major airlines.
Go-Ahead is one of the largest UK bus operators. Operations consist of deregulated services in the north east; Oxford; the south east and southern England; and regulated services for TfL in London.
Go-Ahead’s rail operation is the busiest in the UK, responsible for 28.8 per cent of UK passenger rail journeys through its three rail companies, Southern, Southeastern and London Midland. The Southeastern franchise will include the operation of new high speed trains on the domestic Channel Tunnel Rail Link into St Pancras from 2009.
The group's aviation services division undertakes a wide range of support services for national and international airlines. The division includes Meteor Parking which is one of the largest parking companies in the UK.